Proper Tree Pruning Tips
How are your trees looking these days? It’s nothing to be ashamed of if your trees could use a little TLC. We all deal with winter pruning, but it’s how we deal with it that makes all the difference. If it’s time to trim your trees in Gainesville, Florida, check out these tips from the pros at Mr. Tree and Lawn Service LLC!
- Start with a visual inspection. When you start looking over your trees, begin your inspection from the top of the tree and work your way down the trunk.
- Learn the 1/3 and ¼ rules of tree trimming. Don’t trim up more than 1/3 of a tree’s height. Don’t take more than ¼ off the crown of a tree in a single season.
- Identify leading branches and later branches before pruning so you don’t take any critical parts of the tree.
- Use good, sharp tools! This can’t be overstated, either. Dull blades can do more harm than good when pruning.
- Once you’ve picked out the branches you need to take, make lateral cuts either just outside the collar on larger branches or a ¼ inch in front of a leaf grouping or bud.
These tips should help keep your trees in great shape and ease the stress that pruning can cause. Of course, when it comes to bigger jobs, you should always call a professional. At Mr. Tree, we’re always ready to help keep your trees healthy and looking great!